African Countries with Majority L1 Languages


I have been wondering for a while what language one would have to learn to thrive in Africa. The answer is often English or French, yet looking up any African country often reveals tens or hundreds of languages being spoken, often none claiming a majority. To understand the situation better I made this map showing countries in Subsaharan Africa where there is a majority L1 spoken language, and which they are. I think I will make another map sooner or later about Lingua Francas in Africa.

This map I made waaaay faster, but it was still a pain in the ass. I am not sure if I liked the outcome... A lot of lines, it looks very busy. I did learn a lot from making it though! Comoros and Mauritius seem like awesome countries. Mauritius is an Africa Island nation consisting of Indians with afros who speak French.


Higher quality: https://i.redd.it/tbwljpdln6v21.jpg

Comments